Classes of hosting services
A hosting solution concerns storing and/or sharing specific content on a web server run by a hosting provider. There are various categories of hosting services used for various goals, so let's take a look at them. In that way, you can conclude what you need, depending on whether you'd like to launch a blog, e-mail aliases, or to share files with pals and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a service furnished by given vendors, which lets you share huge files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archives, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its single aim is to share files, since it does not support website uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to see an index of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to view .html or .php web page files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file hosting accounts are often supported by showing ads beside the download links, while a timer obliges you to await a certain interval of time to view them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you possess a paid file hosting account, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no limitation when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
These days, with the help of the cPanel hosting wholesalers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modern "cloud hosting". This is an entirely wrong interpretation of the real meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting environment would split the tasks at hand between independent packs of web servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving various webspace hosting services (email, storage space, stats, DNS, databases, site hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is just a sort of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; some corporations offer a hosting solution for images only. This hosting variant is good if you would like to share an immense quantity of images with pals or partners since the service is usually free of cost. You will obtain a random link for each and every image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be utilized for websites.
- E-mail hosting: a service dedicated to handling your mail addresses. Some suppliers provide webspace hosting solutions for web pages, but do not provide an email solution. If you desire to have an e-mail address with your domain name but do not want to run a website, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you require. You can open mail accounts and manage them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a particular video clip, or you can embed the video clip in your web page that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of using this approach in lieu of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video file creates a specific amount of CPU load, so with several video files and several hundred viewers, you may have trouble with your web page hosting resources. Embedding the video clip will enable you to possess as many video files as you wish without bothering about system resources.
- Web page hosting: this is the solution that you require if you would like to own a web site. To some degree, it involves all of the aforesaid hosting groups since, along with your websites, you can also host images and files, you can have databases and mails, upload videos, etc. At Exclusive Hosting, for instance, you can have a glance at web hosting and dedicated web server hosting accounts that permit you to get all of the aforementioned services in one single place. There may be limitations based on the kind of hosting service that you've picked - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web site hosting package may be better or worse compared with the usual email/file/video/image hosting packages that are devised for specific content solely.